Home

Monday, November 27, 2017

November: The Month of Excuses

Boxes on boxes on boxes of nothing but books.
Life goes through phases. I know, this isn't revolutionary thinking or anything, but sometimes it's hard to fully grasp or even remember just how big the shift between phases is until you're in the thick of it again, saying goodbye to one part of life and hello to another.

I'm going through a phase shift now, as my husband is nearing the end of his military commitment and we're putting down roots. We're buying a house, clearing out an ungodly amount of crap that we've accumulated in the 3 1/2 years since our last move, and getting ready to officially call ourselves Arizonians. Arizonans? I should probably figure that out before I change my state of residence.

This shift has been stressful, and it's put a lot of strain on my family. I've allowed myself to make excuses for things I shouldn't.

For example, I blew off NaNo fairly early on while crying into a beer that there's too much stuff going on for me to be able to write, then watched hours of mindless television immediately afterward. After my last less-than-stellar 5k I mostly stopped running. Just...stopped. Because we won't have the extra money to sign up for more races until after we've closed on our home, and I got grumpy about it.

You get the picture. I'm an expert at making excuses.

Changes are coming as I attempt to throw out my habitual excuses. Maybe I'm just getting a head start on the New Year, but I think it's more than that. It's a realization that who I am right now is not who I want to be. I can either continue on this path as a person who is deeply unhappy with herself or her situation, or I can do the really hard thing, which is to change.

I'm still formulating the best approach to make these changes, but I know I'll be taking it slow and easy, and will do my very best to be kind to myself in the process.

5 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend as i can see above you and your precious family ,looks like you have wonderful happy family life!

    i agree that life go through phases and sometimes though we know that new one is better still seems hard to leave the old one immediately .

    i can understand your stress about stopping being in races but you know that the reason behind it is powerfully PLEASANT and in the start of new year you gonna have you very own new Home Sweet Home! which is not everybody lucky to have .

    I am very sue that you will pass this phase calmly and patiently to step into you new beautiful world!
    later you will be joining your races again soon i am sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I've started running again without a race plan, and right now am just enjoying running for the joy of it.

      Delete
  2. Moving is very stressful, especially when it comes to packing up your stuff and figuring out what to keep and what to let go of (it's hard for me to give up my books, which is why I still have books that I loved in junior high). So it's understandable not to do Nano right now; you've got more than enough on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is. At this point, I'm so over it. They'll have to bury me in the backyard at this next house because I'm not moving again, lol.

      Delete
  3. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. north Carolina author

    ReplyDelete