Home

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Here’s to Nano (Again)

My writing life has suffered lately. Sure, just life in general has played a part in that. The whole job, kids, husband, running (then injuring myself, resting, and running) kind of life in general. But it’s not just that.

Like so many other writers and creative types, I suffer from depression. I’ve written about my depression before, and every time it still feels fresh and strange to put words to keyboards. Through it I’ve managed a few submissions and queries, lots of rejections, and finished a new short story. But…that’s been about it. For months and months on end. The idea of exorcising these ideas and stories and characters from my head felt physically exhausting.

I slept too much and too little.
Ran too little then too hard, hurting myself.
Ate too little then too much.
And stubbornly, desperately, achingly refused to write.

I’m coming out of the other side of a really bad depressive episode, and what good timing! NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is an annual, month-long literary event. In short, you write 50,000 words in a month. Long version, you drink lots of coffee and tea and alcohol, write a bunch of shitty words, and then in December and January whittle and edit it down into a better second draft.

Here's to all the beer that will be
drunk this November.
NaNoWriMo doesn’t allow for second guessing of work. It allows for plot holes and characters who switch names halfway through a manuscript. It creates a 30-day period where you’re just racing to create your story. And right now that’s what I desperately need.

I first participated in NaNoWriMo back in 2005 or 2006, but created a new account when I wanted a new username. According to this account I’ve been at it since 2011 and haven’t missed a year yet, although I’ve only “won” twice. So who am I to break this streak?


Anyone else participating in NaNo this year? If you are, add me as a writing buddy!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

    When I did NaNo last year, I hoped it would be the start of a new writing cycle of writing a novel every year and the submitting during the editing phase of the net novel. Alas, I'm still editing last year's. But maybe it'll be a biennial thing for me instead?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I understand. It took me well past NaNo to actually finish last year's novel. Now it's awaiting editing!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about your depression! I'm glad you're starting to feel better! I had a bad spell of depression for about 3 years. Sending you Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete