Monday, October 24, 2016

Big Changes (and 3 Reasons Why I Started My Own Business)


This blog has mostly reflected the writing aspect of Growing Up and Becoming a Famous Author, but future posts are going to focus a lot more on the first part. Posts about more than just writing (but that are usually still book or writing-related somehow) are going to start popping up, and I hope that you’re as excited as I am about the evolution of this blog.

It’s not just the blog that is changing. Behind the writing scenes I’ve been telecommuting for several years, and while it was a job that I enjoyed and learned many valuable skills from, it was time for me to step away. My working days are far from over though, and I even still get to work from home. Or Starbucks. Wherever there’s coffee and wi-fi, really.

I’m so excited to share that I’m now in business for myself, doing business as CoffeeMarks Copy. My main focus is helping other small business owners and entrepreneurs create the best possible content for their websites. You can find my website here, and if you want to be supportive and help a girl out, there’s also Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook, where I’ll be posting helpful small business information.

So why the change? I really did enjoy my job, it was a lot of fun creating content and SEO blogs, but there wasn’t much forward movement. I also primarily worked with legal clients while I actually wanted to be helping entrepreneurs and owners of small businesses. So, to recap:

1. There was a lack of room to grow at my last position

2. I wanted to work with a certain community of customers

And we can’t forget:

3. I have a passion for the work I do

Life is a great, big jumble of interests and wants and passions. Yes, I’m truly passionate about fiction writing and continue to pursue publication, but I’m also passionate about website content. It’s not weird, OK.

Copywriting is similar to fiction writing in that I’m not only trying to find readers, but I’m also trying to illicit certain emotions from those readers.

You won’t see much about CoffeeMarks on this blog for a while, but it might crop up in the future on a new post. Until then, you can follow on social media or click that handy button I’ve added at the top of the page.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new business! I wish you a lot of luck and clients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Setting up your own business is a big step, but exciting. Hope it goes really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a little overwhelming, but exciting nonetheless. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Woo Hoo! Many congrats and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very excited about the future.

      Delete