Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Self Lovin' Bloghop

Raise your hand if you've ever had a guilt-ridden, self-loathing, I-suck-as-a-writer-why-am-I-even-bothering moment.

Yes, you in back. Put that hand up.

Like most artistic folk, writers are particularly hard on themselves, especially when it comes to nitpicking imperfection. The wonderful Tara is currently hosting The Self Lovin' Bloghop so that we can recognize our strong aspects and realize that we don't all-around suck. Which trust me, is useful. Be sure to check out the other posts and get in on the action yourself, the hop is running through Friday!

Now, as for what I do well? Well, I can brew a killer cup of coffee. Before you say that doesn't count, I've had many a coffee-fueled late night writing sessions, so I'd rank coffee brewing fairly high on my "Does Well" list.

But seriously, I tend to write nice side-characters. The main character's best friend, the barista steaming some milk, the photographer with a bit of a zany side. I find that I have to work very hard on my main characters, but the side characters, the ones who help cushion the world inside my novels and make them real are the ones who come easy. Always real and sometimes a little zany (but who doesn't know a few oddballs around them?), they are definitely my strong suit.

What have you found to be your strongest writing skill?

12 comments:

  1. Yup, my hand is up! This is a great hop :) Brewing a great cup of a coffee is a seriously valuable skill (not joking. I LOVE coffee), as is writing vibrant side characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee is definitely writing-related. Definitely!

    Oooh, I like that. It's something I hadn't thought of before, but what a great strength to have in writing. Those supporting characters can really round out the story! (Or maybe induce a series? ;) )

    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I'm right with you! Side characters are so much easier to write--I think because there's not pressure for them to be in the spotlight. I'm finding particular joy in isolating my side characters and building adventures around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Characters are one of, if not the, most important things in novels. Great talent! Characters are what keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make mine tea and you're on! Characters are wonderful people to get to know. Without them there's no reason to keep reading. That's a great talent, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love it when I'm in the flow. Not sure I'm writing anything worthwhile, but it feels good.

    Can I put my hand down now?

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry Potter is largely successful partially due to amazing minor characters, so you are in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think writing characters well is a definite talent. I've had some sleepless nights myself--although promoting a book release has been more stressful to me than writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waving my hand too. Writer's bane the whole self-loathing curse. Hooray for the supporting cast in a story. I usually crush more on the second leading man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of intriguing side characters! And yes, coffee is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm good at voice, characterization and dialogue.

    How have you been doing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking for your contact info for a book review/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete