Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Procrastination Station

I thought that I was ready to start querying. You know what? I didn't just think that I was ready, I freaking knew that I was ready.

But here I am, staring at my query letter and wishing that hitting the backspace button produced the same, satisfying burn as holding a lighter's flame to the edge of a piece of paper.


Story of my life.
On a related note, I'm also editing and revising This is Now. Again. I'm actually happy about it, though. Combing back through my novel while pouring pots of coffee down my throat is the most justified way to procrastinate querying.

Although yesterday, as I filled a glass with fresh, clear water and little clinking ice cubes, my daughter looked up at me with her little brows furrowed and asked, "Mommy, where's your coffee?"

Maybe it's time to cut back.

Ha. Totally joking.

But the extra editing is helping me ensure that This is Now is in the best shape that it can be. Which, you know, is almost as good as procrastinating.

I'm also reading my library book, re-arranging my "to read" list to accommodate the books I received for Christmas (welcome to the front of the line), watching the Doctor Who Christmas special (again), and trying to convince my kids to let me read their library books to them, even as they insist that they've got it. Wanna know the truth? The little one with his book upside down so doesn't have it.

Procrastinating can't go on forever, though. And honestly, I don't want it to go on forever. I'm just biding my time and building the courage to dive into the wild ocean of literary agents. With any luck, and a smashing query letter, I might just snag one on the way up.

One of my wonderful sisters-in-law gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas, so I picked this puppy up over the weekend.


I've only perused through the beginning so far but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it proves to be helpful.


11 comments:

  1. Good luck! You're braver (and more patient) than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsey! And not braver, just a different kind of brave. :)

      Delete
  2. You're doing it the right way! Go slow, do your research, and be ready for the roller coaster ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Coming from you that definitely means a lot.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes we need that moment of calm before the storm. Use it, enjoy it, and move on when you're ready.

    My daughter used to 'read' books upside down. Whenever I helped her turn them right side up she would wait until she thought I wasn't looking, give me a dirty look, and turn it upside down again. I do worry about her sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice way of looking at it. I think I'll just think of it as that.

      Oh goodness, you even got a look with it. ;)

      Delete
  4. Revising our manuscripts is a great procrastinating tool, but it's also very beneficial, because when we do get the courage to send out that query letter we can have faith that our manuscripts are in the best shape that we can get them. I just finished editing the first book in my series for the thirtieth time (Kidding! Actually, I wish I was kidding...), but now I feel so much better about it. :)

    Good luck with your query process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that this month will give me that little bit of extra time to really ensure that everything is in as good of shape as it can possibly be. Oh man, I've not run through that with this manuscript, but I have one that I've been working on for years, and it's definitely one of those 30th time kinda manuscripts.

      Delete
  5. Awesome, your book looks cool! :) -Heidi

    ReplyDelete