Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Adventures for the New Year

So here we all are, planted firmly in the year 2014 with a brand new Doctor, resolutions that have (probably) already been broken, and finally the third season of Sherlock.

I learned a lot in 2013. In quiet reflection, I learned:


  • What true sleep deprivation can do to a person.
  • That a diagnosis can bring both sadness and joy.
  • Reading is still the most peaceful activity in the world.
  • And that I have the best family in the world, a mom and dad and in-laws that will always stand behind us in times of need.
As per my norm, I didn't make any resolutions. Why? Because I suck at them. I did cook up a nice batch of black-eyed peas and some kale, stayed up till midnight, and rang in the New Year with a glass of wine and kiss from my husband, so chill. I pretty much did everything else. However, I do have a few things I'd like to accomplish or at least start in the coming year.

  • Begin querying for This is Now. I just have to build up the nerve first.
  • Clean up Daxx's Simple Life to hopefully get it ready for querying.
  • Begin my next novel.
  • Blog more often.
  • Read a little more.
  • Move to The Netherlands.
Yes.

You read correctly.

Back in November my husband received an email that he had PCS orders. But, he had to go back up to work to log into the system there to find out where. So after discovering that the van's battery was dead (of course), we got a jump from a neighbor and he sped off to find out where our next adventure would take us to. When he returned home bubbling and carrying a printed out copy of his orders to The Netherlands I started dancing in the yard. I grabbed my oldest's hands and we jumped and spun and giggled and shrieked as only military families can when they realize that they finally get to leave a base that most consider to be a black hole.

We're now awaiting final medical clearance for our son. Honestly, I'm still waiting for someone to step in and say, "Just kidding, we'll just be taking this away now," snatch the papers away, and we'll be stuck in Georgia for, well, ever.

But for now I'm hoping and crossing my fingers and holding my breath for Max's health issues to not present a problem.

Here's to 2014!

12 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with the clearance and Netherlands becomes our newest vacation spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you all and what a fantastic opportunity to go to the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're very excited! Especially for what I know would be a fantastic opportunity for our kids.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a move and how exciting! Hope the clearance all works out and that you blog about your experiences for those of us still stuck in Georgia for the foreseeable future. (not for ever though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all goes well there will be many an extra update, especially for all those back in Georgia in mind. I feel that I should clarify, it's not that Georgia is particularly awful, but it's been a very rough couple of years for my family here, and we're all very ready to move on to a fresh start. And we're all ready for an adventure too, of course!

      Delete
    2. As you say, Georgia is a very nice place, but it's been some rough years for us too. (maybe it really is the state) Unfortunately we are not yet at a place where we can move on or have an adventure. We can dream though, and really, that's most important.

      Delete
  4. The Netherlands—how exciting! I hope everything works out for you. Best of luck with all your 2014 goals. I can't wait to read about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we're definitely holding our breath. I contemplated not saying anything till his clearance was final, but I couldn't do it anymore.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year and welcome to Europe!

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too! And thanks! I was lucky enough to live in the UK when I was younger (MUCH younger) and started school there, but it's been so long. I can still hardly believe that we get to go.

      Delete
  6. You'll love the Netherlands. It's a laid back nation.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR indeed.

    ReplyDelete