Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group

It's not the first Wednesday of the month. No really, go check a calendar. Back?

Told you so.

The wonderful powers that be at Insecure Writer's Support Group understood that most of us would be far too hungover exhausted after a glass of wine, a couple mugs of coffee, and staying up till midnight to ring in the New Year to be able to coherently string more than two words together. Which would inevitably be, "Coffee. Now."

My husband and I share our computer desk. It's one of those long "L" shaped desks that are supposed to be ideal for those who have a single computer and a lot of crap to spread out. We've managed to shove two towers, three monitors, a laptop, and a ton of crap covered in post-it notes and wrapped up power cords across this thing. Other than the fact that I occasionally bite his head off for backing his computer chair into mine for the hundredth time, it works fabulously. Go us. *Self high-five*

Last night I grabbed the back of his creaky computer chair and spun him around. His ear buds popped out but before he could protest I held up one finger and said, "This is important. What do you think of this?" and then rattled off a few paragraphs that I'd just added to This is Now.

We talked for a while, about my novel and a nude cleaning service I'd heard about (note: not related subjects, and double note: no baby, they're still not coming to our house), before he said very deftly, "At least you're not having to rewrite it like The Meaning of Alistair."

The Meaning of freaking Alistair.

I've rewritten that son of a' three times now. Not including edits and revisions to those three completely brand spankin' new rewrites.

But now there's part of me that's shaking in my fake fur lined slippers. What if, just what if my goal of completing my revisions by February turns into a rewrite? My husband has watched me toil away at Alistair for the entirety of our relationship. A solid five years has been pounded away at that story and it's awaiting it's fourth rewrite.

Even though I know that This is Now is in fairly good shape and that the revisions and edits are all (mostly) minor in nature, I'm scared that it'll turn into a rewrite. And so will the next one, and the one after that until I'm tumbling inside of a swirling vortex of papers marked with shiny red ink and there's no escaping it all.

But then again, maybe I won't.


Be sure to hop over to Insecure Writer's Support Group and visit some of the other writers!

7 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, it's all rewriting and editing until it gets published and then...you're always like wait, it would have been better like X or why didn't I change Y. Sounds like you've got a good handle on things though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, rewriting is just part of the process. Sometimes it takes a while to get a story just right. I'm only on my second draft now. I don't even want to think about how long it's going to take me to get it to where I want it.

    Sarah
    (January IWSG Co-host)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some rewriting will happen, but since this effort was written after that other one, I imagine you are also a better writer. Thus, it will be more polished. Believe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caitlyn,

    First, love the header image and blog title. I had one of those same Buddha cups growing up...put the straw in the hole. Loved it. And old typewriters. I have two.

    Second, nice creative post! Rewrites...they're as sure as the sunshine. I've got a 76K piece that is still sitting in cold storage as I avoid that rewrite. Working on something different right now. It happens. They'll both be published one day.

    Never give up; never surrender!

    M.L. Swift, Writer: The Best is Yet to Come

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things don't always go the way we want. OK, then never go the way we want. You may have rewrites on your new book, but I'm guessing, if they happen, they won't be to the scope of your other rewrites. And really, what choice do you have? Keep writing, or give up. It can be scary, but I know you'll keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are preaching to the choir, sister! (Deep Sigh) Rewrites. They are both scary and exciting. I think, if I let myself because of my perfectionist tendencies, I could rewrite a story until I don't even remember what it was supposed to be about in the first place. Good luck! Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also dreading a rewrite, but I know dreading it doesn't help. Still, how to stop dreading?

    I think you can only do your best each go round, and understand that even big name authors have editorial notes and probably have to rewrite. Some big name authors SHOULD be doing rewrites because they're turning out books in a series that are rehashes of their more successful works.

    ReplyDelete